Monday, October 29, 2012

Main Idea Monday

WOW!!! What a day we had in my second grade class! I get to school early only to remember that I had PD scheduled for the last half of the day. SO I got to spend a whole two hours with my kids today. I wanted to start posting a Main Idea Monday today, but there was no time to get to that. So just to start the trend off, here is a main idea project I did with the kids last week.

 
We read the story "I Need My Monster", which by the way the kids really loved! We then talked about what the main idea might be from the story. The students then created these mobils that have the main idea listed on the big part and three details listed on the ghosts.
 
 
They had a great time with this and the activity really helped them understand the concept a little better. Since main idea and details are on our CIP this year, I am sure you will be seeing a lot more of it from me. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Joy Thomas said...

Great idea! Hope you don't mind if I use it with my Grade 1s. We will be going into this topic soon. We're doing procedural texts at the moment and will do some science/health experiments next week. Thanks for the idea. Hope your blogging goes well. (I'm new to blogging, too.)

Lynwood360 said...

Did you create the main idea template yourself or get it from somewhere? I'd love to use it with my second and third graders!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I did create it myself. I just folded a piece of paper in half and drew out what I wanted it to look like. Then I traced it on card stock and let the students cut them out. It was time consumed and I now wish I had done it digitally. Live and learn I guess. Feel free to use the idea. I love to inspire.